Monday, January 27, 2014

Long Run Week 2

#polarvortexreprieve 
Sorry--you're getting two posts from me today, but I wanted to do a self accountability post following
Training Week 2.

I'm doing a four-day-a-week running program, with long runs on Saturdays. Last week, I totally slacked off, and I'm blaming it on the Polar Vortex. I don't know who came up with the term, but they really should have called it the "Vortex of Bitter Cold, Bitter Attitudes and General Winter Humdrums." This is, by far, the worst wintery weather I can remember in the central I-L in some years, and it's not helping my motivation.

So, I ran three miles on Tuesday, accidentally (riiiiight) skipped my other two midweek runs, and decided to wait until Sunday to do my five-mile long run. The Vortex broke for one day, the temperature climbed into the 40's and I headed out for my first outdoor run since before Christmas.

Roller derby turned winter running socks.
My first problem was tackling the wardrobe. I dressed in layers with a windbreaker on top, some long cooky socks, gloves, hat...You know, it's winter right? I regretted it less than a mile in, and started stripping off layers. Once I didn't feel like I was boiling under all my layers, I could try go focus on the task at hand.

As expected, it was a pretty brutal run. I wasn't physically or mentally ready for it, but it needed to happen. I took a couple of breaks at busy cross streets and worked on maintaining an even pace. For total disclosure, every time I stopped running, I paused my RunKeeper app, so it didn't reflects those breaks. However, my running pace was slightly over 11:00 minute miles.

This abysmal showing motivated me to take this week seriously, so my next long run doesn't feel like such a failure. Cue the sad trombones, because this also means I have to cut back on the Norb's cheese sauce. The good news is, each week is another chance to improve.

Here's to a fresh start.
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment